20 Harmful Effects of Stimulant Addiction
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, stimulants raise the body’s functions to an unnatural level. This elevation is not natural and causes damage to multiple systems in the body. People addicted to stimulants can suffer from a variety of mental, physical, and social issues that may be devastating.
1. It can Kill you
Stimulants can kill in a variety of ways including heart failure, respiratory failure, and strokes. Many stimulants are deadly even in small doses.
2. The Long Term Effects cause Cardiac Damage
Stimulants cause your heart to work harder than it needs to. This causes permanent heart damage.
3. You can Overdose on Many of Them
Most stimulants will kill you when you take too much of them at one time or mix them with other drugs.
4. Many Stimulants are Illegal
Most powerful stimulants are illegal without a prescription.
5. You can be Incarcerated for Possessing them
Since they are illegal the police will arrest you for possessing them.
6. Some cause Damage to Nasal Passages
Many stimulants are snorted. This causes damage to your nasal passages and sinuses.
7. Many Cause Extreme Weight Loss
Stimulants like methamphetamine, cause extreme weight loss. This leads to malnutrition and deadly vitamin deficiency.
8. Almost all Stimulants Cause Physical Addiction
Physical addiction and stimulant use go hand in hand. Many of them cause withdrawal as well.
9. Many Stimulants also Cause Psychological Addiction
You can become both physically and psychologically addicted to stimulants.
10. Addiction to Some Stimulants causes Some to Steal to Purchase the Stimulants
Some stimulants are so powerful that you will do anything to get them once you are addicted to them.
11. Some Stimulants can Cause Psychosis
Some of the newer synthetic stimulants cause psychosis and cognitive dysfunction.
12. Much of the Damage Done by Stimulants is Permanent
The physical damage done by stimulants is often incurable. They are only treatable.
13. Inhaling Stimulants Sometimes Causes Respiratory Damage
You damage your lungs when you smoke stimulants. It can cause emphysema, COPD, and lung cancer.
14. Stimulants Weaken the Immune System
You leave yourself open to secondary infections, when you take stimulants. Some of these infections are as deadly as the other consequences of using these stimulants.
15. Some Prescription Stimulants cause Fatal Reactions
Prescription stimulants are not safe either. Many of them have heavy side effects and some are even fatal if you take too much.
16. Some People make Poor Choices while on Stimulants
Risk taking behavior is a part of taking many stimulants. They give you over confidence which can lead to accidents and other risky behavior.
17. Injected Stimulants Lead to Deadly Secondary Infections
When you inject any drug, you can get HIV or an infection at the injection site. Many people do not realize that they can get gangrene from injecting with dirty needles.
18. People who use Stimulants often end up Losing their Families
People who use stimulants chase the high and stop caring about anything else.
19. Stimulants will Sometimes Cause you to Lose your Home
You start to spend your money on the drugs rather than on paying bills and other necessities. You quickly lose the things that you have.
20. Addiction to Stimulants can Ruin your Career
Stimulant addiction can ruin your career by getting you fired or arrested.
These are just a few of the harmful effects that stimulants have on your life. If you are addicted to stimulants call 800-605-6597 Who Answers?.