20 Frequently Asked Questions about Stimulant Addiction
If you or someone you love is addicted to stimulants, you might have some questions about the substances. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, stimulants are one of the most used substances in the world. It is little wonder why so many people are addicted to them.
1. Why do People Become Addicted?
Most people become addicted to stimulants while trying to stay awake and alert for whatever reason. Some also start using them to feel better and focus better.
2. Can Stimulant Addiction Kill You?
Yes, stimulant addiction can kill you in a variety of ways including overdose and accidental heart failure.
3. Can Stimulant Withdrawal Kill You?
Although there are some stimulant withdrawals that can become dangerous, for the most part it does not kill.
4. What is the Meaning of Stimulant?
A stimulant is any drug or herb that increases the body’s functions.
5. How do you Become Addicted to Stimulants?
You become addicted to stimulants by allowing your body to start to rely on them.
6. What does Chasing the High Mean?
People addicted to illegal stimulants are often said to be chasing a high. You never feel the same way as the first time as you get high on some stimulants but you want to. So you use more of the drug to find that feeling again.
7. What Stimulant are People Most Widely Addicted to?
Caffeine is the most widely used stimulant. Millions of people are addicted to it.
8. Who is Addicted to Stimulants?
Anyone can be addicted to stimulants and there are some stimulants such as caffeine that most people are addicted to.
9. Are Stimulants Linked to Sudden Death?
Yes, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, it is.
10. What are the Long Term Side Effects of Stimulants?
Some of the long term side effects are heart disease and high blood pressure.
11. Are all Stimulants Addictive?
Although not all are physically addictive, the feeling you get from them can be.
12. Do Stimulants Affect Your Heart Rate?
Yes, so much so that a stimulant can kill you by raising your heart rate to dangerous levels.
13. Can Stimulants Produce Seizures?
Yes, stimulants can cause convulsions and seizures depending on what and how much you take.
14. What are Prescription Stimulants?
Prescription stimulants are stimulants used to treat specific diseases such as ADHD.
15. Why do People Take Them?
Most people take stimulants to be alert or because they like the feeling it gives them.
16. What are the Drawbacks of Prescription Stimulants?
One of the main drawbacks of prescription stimulants is that they are extremely addictive and volatile.
17. What are Legal Stimulants?
Legal stimulants are caffeine and a variety of other drugs. These are usually fine in small quantitites.
18. What are Illegal Stimulants?
Illegal stimulants are drugs like cocaine and methamphetamine.
19. What Type of Addiction is an Addiction to Stimulants?
Addiction to stimulants can be physical, psychological, or both.
20. Where can you Find Help for Stimulant Addiction?
You can find help simply by calling 800-605-6597 to speak with a treatment specialist.